Taking on a challenge is a great way to raise funds for a worthy cause. It’s amazing how many people will sponsor others to complete an amazing feat. This year, why not get together with friends and family to take on a challenge of your own?
Many charities have a calendar full of challenges which you can sign up to, to help raise money to support their work. However you don’t have to stick to these, as you could just as easily create your own challenge and still raise funds for your favourite cause.
5 steps to fundraising success
1) Decide which challenge you wish to enter and sign up for it via their website, paying the appropriate registration fee. See our Challenges page for ideas.
2) Nominate the charity you wish to support.
3) Set up a fundraising page, tell everyone about your plans and start collecting sponsorship. See external article Top charity giving sites.
4) Take on your chosen challenge.
5) As soon as possible after the event, send the money you raised to your nominated charity.
How do I collect sponsorship?
It’s a good idea to set up a fundraising page on websites like JustGiving or VirginMoneyGiving. MoneySavingExpert has a great article comparing the Top charity giving websites. Some charities, such as Muslim Aid allow you to set up a personalised fundraising page on their website.
Then get the word out on your social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr. Ask the charities themselves to retweet your announcements on their channels (it’s in their interests, after all). But most importantly, tell everyone you know about your plans to drum up loads of support.