This Training Plan provided by Cancer Relief’s Race for Life seems like a good place to start: http://raceforlife.cancerresearchuk.org/training/5k-training-plans I’m going to give it a go, inshallah.
- Your 5k walking plan (PDF, 433KB)
- Your 5k jogging plan (PDF, 514KB)
- Your 5k running plan (PDF, 514KB)
Top tips for everyone
- Wear comfy shoes and make sure your feet are well supported.
- Look the part while training with our range of merchandise.
- It’s also a good idea to wear a sports bra.
- If you’re a beginner, increase the time you exercise for gradually.
- Train with friends and help motivate each other.
- Whether you walk, run or dance, go at a conversational pace.
- Remember to warm up and cool down before and after any exercise.
- It’s important to stay hydrated before, during and after exercise.
With spring around the corner, why not think about walking some or all of the way to work? If the full distance is a bit much, try getting off your bus or train a stop earlier and walking the rest of the way. You could join a running club or even form a walk-to-work group and get your colleagues involved.
And, while we’re there, it looks like I haven’t underestimated the appeal of muddy races: many of their Pretty Muddy races are already full! Subhanullah!